Sunday, September 1, 2013

Things to Know

This year is the first year I have students for a second time.  I taught one section of the acclerated 7th grade math last year and I have all those students again for Algebra.  They are mixed together with students from another section taught by a different teacher.  I thought a great first day activity would be to have the students who had me once brainstorm things to know about me, so the students who hadn't had me knew a little about me.  Here are the lists they came up with.

It was really funny to see the things that resonated with them from last year.  They all remembered the one student who like to sleep all the time and who I would make stand up in class.  Apparently I made it clear I was not a fan of that, all though I don't know any teacher who is.  And all that unnecessary talking; I don't go for that.

I liked that they shared about the formative assessments since they are such a big part of what I do.  They also knew my football likes and that I have a daughter, so they liked me enough to remember personal things.  All in all this was a fun first activity.  The kids who didn't have me last year got to know a little about me, and I got to see a peek at what kids really remember about me!

1 comment:

Alisan Royster said...

What a great way to handle the fact that some of your students already know you! I'll have to remember this idea if I get moved up a grade level next year. Thanks for blogging about it.