Thursday, August 4, 2011

To sell or not to sell

That is the question.



My mom has been storing my wedding dress in her closet since my wedding..so 5 years now. She finally had enough with it taking up so much room and asked me to make a decision. I never had it preserved because I just have a hard time spending money to put something in a box and never get anything out of it again. It's doing the same thing in my mom's closet so...I need to make a decision on whether to sell it or not. That was my original intention.



I have no delusion that Harper will want to wear it when she gets married. Who wants to wear a dress 25 years out of style. Don't get me wrong...my dress is beautiful. It's two pieces, which I loved. The top was a lace-up corset style, and the skirt was a traditional ball gown. I just don't think that Harper will want to wear it. Plus, I am most definitely looking forward to the search for her wedding dress.



All that being said, I might be having second thoughts on selling it. Now that I have to make the decision and I don't just get to filch free storage space off my parents, it's a little tough. I certainly don't have the room to store it. I'd have to find a place for my husbands giant lego collection in order to get the room in our spare bedroom closet.



On the other hand, I could use the money to do something for myself that it totally selfish that I just can't bring myself to pay for otherwise. I really want to have my hair permanently straightened. I hate having to get up an hour before work to get it done. And that's just the straightening part. I usually do the washing and drying the night before. So I could justify the cost of the hair by selling the wedding dress.



I just don't know. What do you all think?



Sell or Save?

2 comments:

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

Mine's preserved in a box, where I can't even take it out to look at it because 1. It nullifies the preservation and 2. I'd probably never get it back in again.

That said. I can't imagine just selling it.

I guess I didn't help at all did I? Haha.

Mel said...

My dress was 25 years out of style. In fact it was like 100 years out of style.