Wednesday, July 7, 2010

So this is what it feels like to gt screwed.

Anyone who knows me knows I like to plan things...waaaaay in advance. I get a crazy high from making sure everything goes right and I'm the narcissistic type who likes to get the credit for something that goes fabulously. Most of all, I'm a practical realist who knows that waiting till the last minute only causes unnecessary stress.

So when we found out I was pregnant last August, looking at daycare was number one on my priority list. I didn't want to get stuck sending my baby to some substandard location with a bunch of snotty brats. I wanted somewhere that would encourage her to learn about all kinds of different things. I also wanted somewhere convenient to home since hubs and I work on opposite sides of town. Weren't we lucky that they had just opened a brand new daycare two blocks from our house, sponsored by Batelle (a science lab, research facility near OSU) Well Joe and I put our money down in a heartbeat and reserved our space. Now keep in mind, we gave them our check in September of 2009 with the understanding that our baby would be whisked into their care in August of 2010. For those who have trouble with the math, that's 11 months difference.

Flash forward to last Friday. Harper and I are out for a walk so we pop into the daycare to let them know when she will be joining their ranks. They tell us there has been no movement on the waiting list and they aren't going to have an open spot. What!? In 11 months, there's so movement out of a room that only has kids up to 18 months old. How is that possible?

Come to find out we're on a separate list...there are two...one for Batelle employees and one for everyone else. The Batelle list gets priority. This makes sense to me, but no one mentioned that to us when we signed up. So here we are...a month before I go back to work, and we have no one to take care of our precious baby girl. Needless to say, it's been a stressful couple of days.

If you know any good daycare centers with open spots, please let me know!

No comments: