Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Walking in the Short North

The neighborhood I live in is diverse. We're talking $800,000 homes within three blocks of section 8 housing. So when Harper and I go on our morning walks, we get to see all kinds of people going on about their day. On Monday, we went for an unusually early walk at 8:00 (she's been waking up at 6, so we need the walk for mini nap by that time). We were walking down High Street window shopping and approaching us is a man who is walking his bike. As he gets close he falls down, bike and all. He's a little older so I offer to help him up. From the bus stop ahead I hear "it's okay miss, I'll help him." At this time I begin to smell the alcohol on the man. He smells like the floor of a dance club at 2 a.m. He is so drunk he can't even walk his bike...at 8:00 in the morning! His friend helps him up and he proceeds to hop on his bike and ride it down the middle of the street, weaving back and forth. He almost hit a parked car and then almost got hit by a moving one. I was relieved that there were no news stories that night about a man getting hit on his bike.

Can you get a BWI...Biking While Intoxicated?

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Oh my gosh! Who knows what/who you'll find on High Street!!

Jenn said...

LOL! How crazy!

Anonymous said...

Yes...you can get a BWI. Except it has the same penalties as a DWI, but I doubt this guy has a car so his insurance won't go up.