Thursday, May 31, 2012

Call of Nature

A couple of weekends ago, whilst shopping at Target (both a Mommy and Harper favorite) Harper became fascinated by the wall of kids underwear.  After a very long debate, she decided that Minnie Mouse underwear were for her, so we threw them in the cart.  I was hoping to get to potty training this summer while I was off work.  Harper had a different idea.   Last Thursday morning she saw the freshly washed underwear in her laundry basket and said "I wear underwear."  Well, there's no arguing with a two year old who gets an idea in her head, so she put on her very first pair of big girl underwear.  I sent a few extra and told the lovely ladies at daycare that there was absolutely no pressure, and if she went back into diapers, no problem.  That evening when I picked her up, I was truly shocked to see her still wearing the same outfit I sent her in.  Day 1, no accidents all day.  Well, since then it's been an awesome surprise how quickly she is picking it up.  She's had a few accidents, and of course the dreaded number two (although we had our first one in the potty yesterday).  I am so impressed at how well she's doing, although I'm also a little sad because it's another step away from being a baby.  I have picked up a few tips to share with any of you embarking on this journey

  1. Pack Post-its:  They are perfect for sticking over the sensors of automatic flushers which scare the crap out of Harper.  She even requests them. "Mommy, sticker, no flushing"
  2. Toilet Rings:  You know, those cute little rings you put on the big potty to make it small butt size.  We take ours everywhere.  It's so much better than having to hold her on bigger public toilets.
  3. M&M's:  Not a new idea, but definitely a great one.  We give two for peeing, and four for pooping.  Daycare gives gummies I think.
So in honor of my ever growing little girl, here are some pictures of the new "Big Girl" things Harper has been up to.
Checking out the Fire Trucks at COSI

Running through the sprinkler

Mowing the "lawn"

Playing "Daddy Hockey"

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Oh such a big step tpo becoming a big girl! I have to admit, I don't miss diapers:)