Friday, July 24, 2009

TOP TEN VACATION MEMORIES

Here are the top ten things we will remember about our trip...
10. ROOFTOP POOL: It was so nice to have two days at the end of the vacation to just lounge by the pool, doing nothing. We were even able to snag Joe an umbrella to lay under so his pasty white skin could remain pasty white. And who wouldn't love to lay by a pool that has a view like this...
9. FIREWORKS IN VENICE: It was really cool to get caught up in the throngs of Venetians celebrating one of their biggest festivals. Although we didn't stay for the entire 1 hour fireworks show, we will never forget such a unique experience.8. MINIBUS RIDE: Never had I thought I was closer to death than in the backseat of that minivan. It makes me appreciate the drivers here in the U.S. There are some pretty bad ones, but at least they tend to obey posted traffic signs and signals.

7. BEER GARDENS: When I imagined Munich, I figured there would be beer gardens and sausage carts all over the city. Well, there weren't any sausage carts that I saw, but I was dead on about the beer gardens. I haven't spent two days drinking nothing but beer since college.

6. GETTING SCAMMED: As much as we gave each other crap for our gulibleness (is that a word?) it would have been disappointing had neither of us fallen for the well known Roman scams.
5. OVERNIGHT TRAIN: This is an experience that you just don't get in the U.S. I'm used to being lulled to sleep by the movement of a car, but the rocking of the train is on a whole new level. Although, it did seem like the ground was rocking for about a day afterwards.

4. ROMAN RUINS: It really was amazing how well preserved some of these ruins were. Just imagining that some famous people in history had walked the very same paths were were walking was pretty mind blowing.


3. BIKE RIDE IN MUNICH: There is really no better way to tour this city. You can go at your own pace, stop at as many beer gardens you want, and really take in what it would be like to live there.

2. SISTINE CHAPEL: Really the only way to describe how this affects you is awestruck. It is absolutely unbelievable the work that went into this work of art. Every person should see this at one time in their life.


and the number one memory of our vacation is....


1. ANNIVERSARY IN ROME: I know they say that the gift for the third year is leather....but Rome is SO much better.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Hope you don't mind comments!
Such a great great post! Loved your top ten.